“Racism is a Pandemic Too” Submission Guidelines
If you have an idea for a painting or visual arts project on this theme that would fit on a Bell box, we invite you to submit proposals by February 28, 2021. We have four sites that will be painted, and the dimensions and a photo of each site is below. Each selected artist will receive an $800 honorarium for their piece, as well as a maximum of $500 towards the cost of supplies for the project. The honorarium will be provided after completion of the project. Receipts will need to be provided to be reimbursed for the cost of supplies.
The locations and dimensions of the Bell boxes:
Parkdale and Gladstone – 87″wide, 11.5″deep & 41″ high
Stirling and Ladouceur
Parkdale and Wellington – 25″wide, 19.5″deep & 46.5″ high
Gladstone and Fairmont – 87″wide, 11.5″deep & 41″high
In order for your project to be considered for one of the four sites, your submission must include the following:
- The artist’s/artists’ full name(s); email address; phone number. You do not need to be a resident of Hintonburg. If applicable, we encourage you to identify as a member of a racialized community, as priority in the selection process will be given to artists who are black, indigenous or people of colour.
- Brief bio of artist(s) and examples of your previous projects.
- A complete sketch or photograph of the proposed art project. You are welcome to indicate a preference for the site location and/or dimensions, however your proposal should be scaleable to any of our sites.
- An artist’s statement, describing how the proposed art project fits within our theme.(maximum 500 words)
- A clear description of what the project would look like and full details of how it would be installed and survive outside in our Canadian climate.
- The understanding that the project will be fully visible/accessible to the general public, however, the HCA and Bell reserve the right to paint over the project in case of graffiti or wear and tear, without notice to the artist.
- A commitment to complete the project no later than May 31, 2021
- By submitting a entry to this process, you are allowing the HCA and its partners to use your submission for promotional purposes, and for it to be featured on social media.
Please email all of this information in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line: Racism is a Pandemic Too.
Proposals must be submitted by midnight on February 28, 2021.The winner will be selected by a jury of local residents, artists and volunteers of the Hintonburg Community Association, and will be announced in March 2021