Who And When To Call – City of Ottawa, Police Services and Other Services

Please find below an updated  list of who to call when dealing with safety and security issues. Reporting is an important tool in addressing any issues or concerns.  Accurate data is key to policy and service improvements.

Who to Call:


Support Services for those in need.

  1. Salvation Army Outreach Van – 311 or 613-241-1573 11am – 3am 7 days/week
  2. Somerset West Community Health Centre – Monday-Friday 9am-9pm, Weekends 1pm-9pm call 613-447-0029 or
  3. Rent Arrears during pandemic – call 311, choose language, #4 for social services, #3 to speak to someone, then ask for the Emergency & Social Services fund to help pay rent arrears.

Mental Health and other supports

  1. Mental Health Crisis Line: 613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991
  2. Free Counselling Services – it is important that we take care of our own mental health. Quick access to free counselling is available to residents of the greater Ottawa area through Counselling Connect in both English and French.
  3. Distress Centre Ottawa: 613-238-3311
  4. Youth Services 24/7 Crisis Line: 613-260-2360
  5. CHEO Mental Health Intake: 613-737-2496
  6. Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868
  7. Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre 24 hr line: 613-562-2333
  8. First Nations/Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line: 1-855-242-3310
  9. Bereaved Families of Ottawa: 613-567-4278

Key Ottawa Police Service numbers:

* Life threatening emergency assistance or to report a crime in progress…..911

* For other emergencies or to ask for an officer to be sent ————-613-236-1222 ext 1 ext 2

Report suspicious activity in your neighbourhood. If you see someone checking homes, cars, yards either on foot or slowly driving by in a vehicle, or someone following a delivery van, call police immediately at 613-236-1222 ext 1 ext 2

* Non-emergencies and general inquiries ………………… 613-236-1222

* To make a police report online ………………….613-236-1222 x 7300 or

Online reporting service for non-emergency reports such as:

  • Theft (excluding theft of passports)
  • Theft from vehicle
  • Traffic complaints
  • Mischief/Damage to property
  • Hate-Motivated Incidents
  • Drug complaints

City of Ottawa – 311

By-law, Property Standards, Building Code Services, graffiti, discarded syringes, roads, sidewalks, etc call 311

Designated Substance Remediation (ie: asbestos in buildings):

  1. Ministry of Labour – protects workers: 1-877-202-0008 – 24/7 line – Option #2 to make a report.

DSR details the % of substances. If low % asbestos ie: in stucco then trowel with water and into bags is ok, if really high % then tarp & negative pressure air. Reference e-laws – Ontario – Asbestos Regulations #278-05.

Also regulate other worker safety measures – hard hats, safety lines, etc.

  1. Ministry of the Environment – Spills and Pollution Reporting line – 1-866-663-8477 – 24/7 line. If reporting during the work week then call Ottawa – 613-521-3450 #0 for reception. (During Covid working from home the message refers you to reception at 613-301-4160.

This is for particulate matter – dust from asbestos removal, Styrofoam shavings floating over the community.

No exact rules for asbestos removal (ie stucco) other than they must control particulate matter. Could be tarps, negative pressure, putting into yellow bags then washing outside and into second bag before going into the bin, putting into airtight dumpster (not just the top covered by a tarp). (Ottawa Building Code Services – demo permit needed for exterior siding removal – some say yes, some say no).

Syringes found:There are 3 options.

1. Call 311 and the City will send someone out to pick it up. It takes an hour or longer – especially on weekends.

2. If you want to pick it up yourself then it should be picked up with tongs or similar, put it into a puncture proof container (pop bottle) then drop it in the Syringe Drop Box that is outside the door at Tom Brown Arena. It is a big black box like a postal box.  THEN – really important to report the date, time, location where it was found by e-mail to  – without a report problems are not identified. Syringes CANNOT go in the garbage.

3. Somerset West Community Health Centre staff will also come and pick up syringes, discarded clothing from homeless people and discarded suitcases. Monday-Friday 9am-9pm, Weekends 1pm-9pm call 613-447-0029


Our Sponsors