Hintonburg is rich in history and heritage. The stories behind our buildings are always interesting. In the title photograph, one can see the tower of the Hintonburg Fire Hall to the far right. Please enjoy Linda’s article on the building at 7 Fairmont Avenue.
The Hintonburg Fire Hall, designed by Ottawa architect E. L. Horwood, and constructed
by the Villeneuve Brothers of Hintonburg was built in 1901 – 1902 for the Village of
Hintonburg. The Fire Hall cost more than $2,000 and was “equipped with all the
appliances necessary for fire fighting.” (Ottawa Journal, January 25 1902)
The Fire Hall was a two storey brick building with a wooden cornice across the front and
along both sides. The hose tower, located on the north west corner of the building, was 60
feet tall – the first thirty feet clad in brick and the top thirty feet of wood clad in iron.
There is a two storey addition shown at the rear, possibly a stable since fire trucks were
horse-drawn at that period. (1912 Fire Insurance Plan)
The village was served by a volunteer brigade whose first chief was James Byers. The
building was known as Fire Hall No. 1 until the 1907 amalgamation of the Village of
Hintonburg with Ottawa, when it became Fire Hall No. 11.
In 1923 the Fire Station Survey Committee reported to the Board of Control that station
No. 11 on Fairmont “should be immediately vacated and a new fire hall built.”
- The building should be condemned as it is in a rickety, dilappidated [sic]
condition. The trap door in the roof has to be left open all the time so as to allow
the gases from the soft coal to escape. The tower and roof leak badly and the front
wall shakes and wobbles if one leans against it. A good shove would probably
knock it down. This building is about 30 years old.
In spite of this condemnation, the Ottawa Police Force No. 2 sub-station was located at 7
Fairmont Avenue from 1924 to 1958. The city spent small sums of money over these
years to improve the condition of the building.
In 1959 the City of Ottawa sold the building to Gauthier & Co. who operated a funeral
parlour there until 1985. The tower was probably removed at the time the building was
converted to a funeral parlour, leaving the rounded corner that still remains a distinctive
feature of the building.
New owners renovated the building creating apartments and a retail space on the ground
floor, occupied by Ottawa Blooms for several years and now the home of Forbes Beauty
Fire Hall Evening Journal.jpg
Hintonburgh’s New Fire Hall
Credit:Ottawa Evening Journal January 25 1902
1912 Fire Station.jpg
1912 Fire Insuranca Plan
Credit: Library and Archives Canada e010689412-v8.jpg
Banque provinciale 1024 Wellington.jpg
View of the Fire Hall from the corner of Fairmont Avenue ca 1920
Credit: Jean-Claude Dubé family
Racine Robert et Gauthier.jpg
Credit: Racine Robert et Gauthier
7 Fairmont Avenue ca 2010
Credit: Linda Hoad