GO TO HOME PAGE


Go to homepage
Mason House
Heritage Plaque
Old Firehouse
Ecole Sacre Coeur
Vitascope premiere
Hintonburg Heritage Walking Tour

Hintonburg has a fascinating history along with an extraordinary combination of heritage buildings and cultural "firsts"-- from an 1896 motion picture Canadian premiere by the Holland Brothers to today's QUAD arts district.

 This walking tour will introduce you to our rich heritage and give you a little insight into the lives of some of the remarkable people who helped build it.

Guided Heritage Walking Tours are offered as part of ArtsPark in May.

"The history of Hintonburg -- from its beginnings as the site of choice for country estate properties, to one of Ottawa’s first industrial suburbs, to its current flirt with the nouveau chic -- is reflected in its architecture and its character... A Sunday stroller wandering through Hintonburg’s streets will feel the magic -- undoubtedly due in part to the stardust emanating from ghosts past."

The highlighted quotes on this page, reproduced by permission, are from the 2005 newspaper article Historic Hintonburg -- Home to the Stars by Newswest's Maureen Keenan. Numbers below refer to map locations. Photos are available for most structures and these links will open in a new browser window.

For detailed historical information, consult Hintonburg and Mechanicsville, A Narrative History by John Leaning available at Collected Work Bookstore (Wellington Street near Holland).

1 Église Saint-François-d'Assise, Wellington Street at Fairmont

The first church of this parish, founded and directed by the Capuchin Fathers, dates back to 1890 and was later converted into a college. The present church was built in 1914-1915 according to plans drawn by architect Charles Brodeur, from Hull, Quebec. The outside facade holds statues of St Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of the parish, and of St Anthony. The twin bell towers, of different heights, contain five bells cast in 1924 in France by Georges Pacard Sons, from Annecy-le-Vieux. The imposing stairs leading to the entrance with two large landings make this church an important monument in Hintonburg and in Ottawa.

Inside, there are no columns. The vault and the window frames of the chancel are in the basket-handle style while the window frames of all the other windows and the windows themselves are in the Roman style. The two transept galleries and the organ gallery, in the back, add a touch of Gothic style to the church. The church is also renowned for the many statues it contains, some of them coming from other churches: St Anthony (1894), Sacred Heart (1896), Our Lady of Piety (1897) and St Pascal Baylon (1899). The Way of the Cross and the pews date back to the construction of the church. The organ too is historic and has been modified several times and restored in 1987. The palette of colors found on the display pipes was used as the basis for the repainting of the church in 1985.

In the 1970s the fate of this church was uncertain but, thanks to uniting with other parishes and to government subsidies, the church was preserved and restored in 1985. The church continues to dominate the skyline of Hintonburg and its bells continue to call parishioners to worship. École Saint-François is located directly behind the church and several religious orders are located nearby on Fairmont Avenue. [View photo]

2 Hintonburg Community Centre, 1064 Wellington

Mural by Richard GillBuilt in 1989, the Centre has several meeting rooms, a double gymnasium and a pre-school room to accommodate the activities of community groups. A large sculpted mural (detail at left) by Ottawa artist Richard Gill near the rear entrance depicts several notable Hintonburg landmarks. The Community Centre replaced the former Saint-François-d’Assise parish hall which had both an auditorium and a bowling alley.


3 École Sacré-Cœur, 19 Melrose Avenue

Ecole Sacre CoeurConstructed in 1912 at a critical juncture in the history of French language education in Ontario to serve the needs of the French-speaking Roman Catholic children of Hintonburg, the school is an important physical reminder of the vitality of the Francophone population in this part of Ottawa. It was designed by Ottawa architect Francis Sullivan, also known for his early "Prairie style" buildings and his association with American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Sullivan designed three small schools for the French Catholic Board between 1905 and 1912. These schools were simple in design and execution, reflecting the budgetary constraints faced by the Catholic School Board at the time.

Sacré Cœur served as an annex to St Malachy's (English Catholic) School and then to St François d'Assise School until about 1988 when it became the Youville Centre, a school and residential facility for young single mothers which moved to another location in 2001. A well-known building which makes a significant contribution to the neighbourhood, it was granted a heritage designation in 2005 due to the efforts of the Hintonburg Community Association.

Like many school buildings constructed between 1900 and 1914, Sacré Cœur's design reflects its function as a school and thus features a simple axial plan with classrooms on either side, large four-over-four sash windows to provide fresh air and light and high-ceilinged classrooms to maximize air circulation. Exterior decoration is simple -- because of the limited construction budget -- and is restricted to the entranceway with its tiled roof, exposed rafters and large brackets, the stringcourse formed by two rows of perpendicular bricks, the stone topped buttresses, and the slightly gabled parapet above the building's name, carved in stone. [View photo]

4 Hintonburg Park, behind the Hintonburg Community Centre

This may be the only walled park in Ottawa. The Capucin Fathers (of St François d’Assise Church) built the wall around their property in 1900-1902. The grilled openings were added later for security reasons.

5 Former Crawley Films Building, 19 Fairmont Avenue

In 1943, Budge Crawley and his wife Judith co-founded Crawley Films. They bought the abandoned St Matthias Church Hall at 19 Fairmont in Ottawa, which they used as their new studio. Their clients over the years included government and many segments of the private sector -- business, education, industry and television. As the company became more successful, a modern film studio was built next to the church hall studio. In the late 1950s Crawley moved his company into TV production and developed an animation studio. Crawley's interest increasingly turned to feature films such as The Luck of Ginger Coffey (1964), The Rowdyman (1972) and Janis (1974). Crawley's best-known film, The Man Who Skied Down Everest (1975), won the Academy Award in 1976 for best feature-length documentary.

"Crawley’s name recently resurfaced with the release of the documentary, Festival Express, which followed legendary rockers Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and The Band on their rock ‘n roll train tour across Canada. Some 40 reels of festival footage that ended up in the Budge Crawley vault at Library and Archives Canada were dusted off and incorporated into the recent documentary. Crawley used much of the unique footage to create his 1972 rockumentary, Janis."

6 Orpheus House, 17 Fairmont Avenue

Originally built as St Matthias (Anglican) church, the building was acquired by the Orpheus Society sometime after 1948 and is used for rehearsal space and workshops for their musical-comedy productions. The Orpheus Society was founded in 1906 by James A Smith. [View photo]

Police station, 7 Fairmont Avenue

From 1924 to 1958 the Ottawa Police Force No. 2 sub-station was located at 7 Fairmont Avenue. Before 1924 it had housed a fire station and up until about 1990, it was a funeral home.

7 Richmond Lodge (Armstrong House), 35 Armstrong Street

Richmond LodgeIn 1845, Carleton County Judge Christopher Armstrong acquired 18 acres of land along Richmond Road (now Wellington) from Nicholas Sparks on which he later (c1854) built this large stone residence which he called Richmond Lodge. It was sold to Les Soeurs Grises de la Croix in 1907 and served for a number of years as a residence. (A school, St Conrad's at 22 O'Meara Street, was built to the rear in 1909 and is now used as an office building.) Restored in 1985, Armstrong House is a designated heritage building and current home of Banfield-Seguin Communications. This imposing but simply designed house stood on a slight elevation with a winding avenue of trees leading down to Richmond Road through a meadow and large garden. The heavy mansard roof presumably was added when the house was sold to Les Soeurs Grises. [View photo]

8 Mason House, 101 Bayswater Avenue

Mason HouseBuilt for Robert and Maria Mason in 1891, two years before the incorporation of the Village of Hintonburg, the home remained in the same family for more than a century. When the property was sold to a developer in the late 1990s, a proposal for infill townhouses was strongly opposed by residents. This 2½-storey clapboard house with an interesting period veranda is once again in private hands. Please note that this residence is private property. [View photo]

9 (Not on map) Hintonburg Pumphouse, 3 River Street at the Lemieux Island bridge, accessible via Bayswater Avenue-Bayview Road

Although it is not in Hintonburg, this building (c1895) was used as the Village's pumping station until 1912. After 1932, it was remodeled to serve as a residence and gatehouse for the new water purification plant on Lemieux Island. After a devastating fire in 1989, it is now in ruins. The pumphouse, as seen in early photographs, was a one-and-one-half storey cut limestone structure with a pitched roof and an open verandah on the south and east facades. There was a circular turret with a conical roof and a large half-round window on the north and south facades.

The building received heritage designation in 1987 and was re-zoned to Heritage Commercial in 1988 in order to encourage reuse of the property. With its beautiful stone walls, historical significance and striking location just off the Ottawa River Parkway, perhaps the City should consider restoration and sympathetic re-purposing.

10 Giant Tiger store, 1085 Wellington

Giant Tiger is in the heart of Wellington’s business district. Long before Giant Tiger Stores bought the property in 1972, the building (built 1930) had been a staple of the business community, changing hands among local entrepreneurs.This property was purchased by Hintonburg resident William G Wilson in 1892. The original building consisted of a 1-½ storey building with a small addition in the rear and a two-storey flat-roofed office building at the front where Wilson operated a real estate business. After a 1924 foreclosure, the City of Ottawa sold the property in 1929 to Isidore L Arron who constructed a new building on the property the following year. The new building was a simple two-storey flat-roofed design, with a false front highlighting the year of construction at the top. The building was leased to the United 5¢ to $1 variety store chain until Giant Tiger took it over in 1972. An electrical fire forced a temporary closure of the store in December 2007 but it re-opened as GT Expressearly in 2008.

11 Elmdale House, 1084 Wellington

The eastern, 2-storey half of the present Elmdale House tavern was built in 1909 by Ernest Laroche. He operated a dry goods (later men’s clothing) store in the building and lived with his family above the store. The one storey part of the building and the entrance canopy were probably added in 1934 when the Elmdale Hotel was opened. The 1934 modifications have hidden the original store-front but some of the features of the residential part of the building can be seen above the entrance canopy. The decorative finials on the corners of the roof are also typical of ‘main street’ construction of the early 20th century. This is one of only a few remaining traditional Ontario taverns with its “Ladies & Escorts” door still visible although unmarked. [View photo by Shellagh Corbett]

"Do not let the unassuming exterior of Elmdale House fool you... [it] holds the secrets of celebrities past. Sir Wilfred Laurier, prime minister of Canada between 1896 and 1911, played checkers with... alderman Ernest Laroche who hailed from the same rural community as Laurier."

12 1100 Wellington Street

Rising from the ashes of Lieutenant Pooley’s Pub (formerly the Galaxy Restaurant) on the corner of Sherbrooke and Wellington Streets, this building (built 2002) was designed by architect Roderick Lahey and consists of eight 2-storey apartments above a series of retail stores. The building won the City of Ottawa Certificate of Merit in 2003. In the words of the Award: “The well-proportioned cornice caps the building in keeping with the typical design of early 20th century commercial buildings. Portions of the building are set back to respect neighbouring buildings and to reduce the impact of its height at street level.”

13 Proudman House and Store, 1112-1114 Wellington

John Proudman built the solid and substantial store and home that still stands at this location between 1906 and 1912. This building housed a dentist’s office and the Proudman shoe store which Mr Proudman ran with his wife until 1929. The Proudman store, now occupied by a home decorating business, still retains many original features such as the embossed tin ceiling and hardwood floors. These two substantial and elaborate brick buildings are fine examples of early 20th century commercial and residential architecture, built at a time when prosperous businessmen lived above or beside their place of business on the main street.

14 Magee House, 1119 Wellington

This handsome stone building, originally a 2½-storey private residence, built for Mrs Frances Magee about 1880, has been altered considerably over the years. The line of the original roof can be seen in the stonework of the gables. The mansard roof and dormer windows were probably added when it became a commercial building in 1907 operating as a branch of the Northern Crown Bank, later the Royal Bank, through 1942. The building currently houses an architect's practice.

The Second Empire detailing, in particular the mansard roof with its emphatic cornice, is unique in the neighbourhood. The change in use from a single family dwelling to a commercial structure parallels the evolution of Hintonburg from a village within the Township of Nepean to an urban neighbourhood within the City of Ottawa. It was designated in 1996 at the request of the Hintonburg Community Association. [View photo]

15 Iona Mansions, 1127 Wellington 

Iona Mansions is an elegantly-proportioned 3-storey apartment building with retail stores at grade.(Mansions is a common designation for such buildings in England.) The original exterior detailing of 1912 has survived, including the graceful arched windows on the second storey and the stucco, wood and brick exterior. Note the small balcony window-boxes on the third floor.

In 1910, Donald Maclean, Barrister-at-law bought this property for $2,500. Completed in June 1912, the building had 4 stores on the ground floor and 7 apartments on the two upper floors.

Between 1949 and 1953, the units were reconfigured, resulting in a mixture of numbered and lettered units, finally reaching 11 units plus a basement unit. One can surmise that as units became vacant, they were subdivided or reconfigured. (This was happening in many older apartment buildings across Ottawa because of the severe housing shortage after the war.) This elegant apartment building has been given a new lease on life since 2002 when extensive renovations were begun. [View photo]

16 West (now Rosemont) Branch, Ottawa Public Library, 18 Rosemount

Built 1918-19, Ottawa's only remaining Carnegie library and oldest public library building, although extensively altered over the years, still maintains a quiet dignity. It was built with funding assistance from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and a portrait of the philanthropist still hangs among the book stacks. From 1913 to 1919 the library operated a temporary branch in a store in the newly constructed Iona Mansions. In 1932 a rear wing was added and in 1982 the original entryway was replaced to create an accessible entrance, unfortunately without respect for the character of the building. [View photo]

17 Rosemount Methodist Church, 30 Rosemount

This building, built ca 1914-15, has been altered considerably since it ceased being a church in 1931. The bell tower is gone and the roof line changed, but the large arched front window is still in place. The building was a synagogue during the late 1940s and 1950s and was then a Knights of Columbus hall. In the 1980s the building was converted to its current use as offices.

18 Orange Lodge, 41 Rosemount

Orange LodgeThere has been an Orange Lodge located here since 1912. The present building may date from this time, although it has been expanded and altered over the years. Shallow arched windows and older brick can be seen on the side of the building, suggesting that the front of the building has been changed at some point. The Loyal Orange Lodge is an Irish Protestant fraternal organization.

19 Connaught Public School, 1149 Gladstone Avenue at Rosemount

This site has been used for a school since Nepean USS 18 was built in 1889. The original two classrooms were increased to four in 1891 and another four classrooms were added in 1898. The school was known as the Hintonburg School after 1894 and as Rosemount Avenue School after the annexation of the Village of Hintonburg by the City of Ottawa in 1908.

The former building was designed by W B Gavrock, Superintendent of School Buildings; construction began in 1913. Formal opening ceremonies on February 9, 1915 were presided over by Governor General Connaught for whom the school was named. Additions to the school were made in 1931 and again in 1949. According to contemporary newspaper accounts, Connaught was the largest elementary school in Ottawa in 1945, with an enrollment of 950 students.

Connaught School was an example of early modern urban school design, built of red brick with an ashlar stone foundation, cornice and parapet wall. The only remaining trace is the classically inspired stone-work which surrounded the main door. The present school, designed by Dave Seaborn (Pye & Richards) was opened in 1994 and resembles the former school in its use of materials, texture and massing.

20 Parkdale United Church, 429 Parkdale Avenue

Parkdale United Church detailIn 1925, Bethany Presbyterian Church and Rosemount Methodist Church both voted to join the United Church and also agreed to come together under one roof. The site of the Bethany church (built 1912) was chosen. In 1931 it was greatly altered and enlarged; the Memorial Hall was built on the north side in 1951.



21 Parkdale Fire Station, 424 Parkdale

Old FirehouseThe former Ottawa Fire Station No. 11 is built on a lot purchased from William Foster Garland, a Hintonburg druggist, adjacent to his residence at 420 Parkdale.This station replaced the Hintonburg Fire Station at 7 Fairmont Avenue. Millson, Burgess and Hazelgrove, an Ottawa architectural firm, designed the building and supervised the work completed in 1924. (They also worked on the Plant Bath on Somerset Street at Preston which has a certain similarity of style.) It is one of only three pre-1930 fire stations still standing in Ottawa. Fire Station No. 11 was closed in 1986 and designated at the request of the HCA in 1996. In much earlier times, the Hintonburg town hall stood beside this station.

The ground floor featured two large bays to allow fire trucks to exit quickly and a pedestrian door. Five windows dominate the upstairs front facade which is framed by two brick columns, topped with stone caps. A broad stone band separates the two storeys. There is a stone string course immediately below the windows and stylized stone brackets under the cornice. Note the hose drying tower and the fire-fighting insignia in the small decorative medallions above the doors.

The building served as a food bank and artists studios until 2004 when it was purchased for redevelopment by two Ottawa businessmen. The property received funding from the new federal Commercial Heritage Properties Incentive Fund and has been extensively renovated and refurbished. [View pre-renovation photo]

22 Forward House, 425 Parkdale Avenue

This was originally the home of James A Forward (1868-c1943) after whom Forward Avenue (further north off Parkdale) is named. He was a Hintonburg councillor and feed and grain merchant. He managed, then took over, the McCormick Mill located on Wellington between McCormick and Carruthers. The house, built in 1900, remained in the Forward family until the late 1970s when it was acquired by the adjacent Parkdale United Church. It operated from some time as Amethyst, an addiction rehabilitation centre for women. It is now an Abbeyfield House Seniors Residence. [View photo]

23 Elmdale Theatre, 1196 Wellington

Opened by the Zumar Brothers in 1947 with an 894-seat capacity, the Elmdale was midway between the Nola Theatre (to the West) and the Victoria (to the east, later the Towne). Purchased by Odeon Theatres after the closing of the Nola in 1948, it was renovated as a twin-screen theatre in 1981. In operation as a cinema until 1994, the building currently houses the Church of God congregation. [View 1960s photo]

24 Capital Wire Cloth Company, 7 Hinton Avenue

Old wirecloth building on Hamilton StCapital Wire Cloth bought this property in 1902 from the Ottawa Land Association Company, a consortium of local entrepreneurs who bought and subdivided a large tract of land in Hintonburg in 1895. When it first opened about 1922, the factory stood virtually alone. A block away, between Parkdale and Pinehurst Avenues, stood an isolated forest grove described as "thickly wooded ground -- mostly pine". The nearest building was a grocer's on the site of the present-day Carleton Tavern (built 1935) on Armstrong Street. The factory was expanded in 1919, in the mid-1920's and again in 1948. Capital Wire Cloth ceased production at the Hinton Avenue plant in July 1974 due to an industry-wide conversion from metal wire screens to plastic mesh screens. In 1983 the factory was sold to Metcalfe Realty and completely renovated by Barry Padolsky, one of Ottawa's leading heritage architects.

"[This] yellow block and brick building... reflects the changes Hintonburg has undergone... from industrial building to the birthplace of animated critters to the home of high-tech businesses... The popular animated [television] series, The Raccoons, which ran from 1985 to 1992, was produced by Hinton Animation Studio in the restored building. Currently, office space is filled by -- among other businesses -- a high-tech company, an advertising agency, a consulting company and a digital animation business."

The earliest factory was a two-and-one-half-storey masonry structure with a pitched metal-sheathed roof and round-headed windows on all sides. The entrance was at the east side and the building extended along Armstrong Street about two-fifths of its present length. Many of the additions were built in a style similar to, or sympathetic to, the original building.

Wire cloth was used in the manufacture of paper from pulp. The cloth, really a fine-guage metal screen, was dipped through the pulp mixture to strain the solids from the liquids. The extensive paper making industries at the Chaudière were ready markets for this product. The wire cloth was woven on very heavy looms set onto the concrete floor in the main section of the factory. Finishing of the cloth, which involved stretching it on large tables, was carried out on much lighter equipment located on the second floor. [View 1950s aerial photo]

25 Parkdale Market, Parkdale Avenue between Wellington and Armstrong

Operated by the City of Ottawa, this popular farmers' market was set up in 1924 on the site of an earlier informal market. This area, including Parkdale Park (site of the annual ArtsPark in May), has great potential as a neighbourhood focus centre. Recently, several new businesses have opened nearby including several art galleries.

26 Grace Manor, 1156 Wellington Street

The Grace Manor (built 2002) is on the site of the Salvation Army's Grace Hospital (1922) which saw some 3000 births yearly. The current facility was designed by Ottawa architect Barry J Hobin. [View 1950s photo]

27 St George’s Home (Holy Rosary Parish and Church), 1153 Wellington Street

This building, built 1895, was originally occupied by the Sisters of Charity who cared for orphaned children from England until 1934. It was occupied by the Department of National Defence during World War II. By 1950, this building and the church behind had been acquired by the Queen of the Most Holy Rosary parish. An interesting descriptive plaque about the "Home Children" program has been erected near the east side of the building. [View photo]

28 Bethany Hope Centre, 1140 Wellington Street

The Salvation Army has operated a home for young people here since about 1908. The existing red brick building, built about 1920 and featuring an expansive two-storey sunroom at the rear, was originally called the Salvation Army Home for Children, then the Bethany Home. It now offers support programs for young parents. [View photo]

29 Ottawa West Senior Support, 1135 Wellington Street

This deco-influenced structure was formerly a City of Ottawa Health Centre (known as the Well-Baby Clinic) built sometime in the 1930s or 1940s, on the site of the McCormick Mill. One of a number of Neighbourhood Improvement Program projects undertaken in the 1970s, McCormick Park is directly behind the building. [View photo]

30 Bytown and Nepean Road Company Toll House, 1121 Wellington Street

This 1888 building, currently Tony's Shoe Repair, was the residence of the gate keeper who collected tolls from travellers going between Ottawa and Bells Corners. After an earlier 1883 toll house was burnt, tenders for the current structure called for "the erection of a Toll House at Gate No. 1 (on the foundation of the old one lately destroyed by fire) according to the plans and specifications of the said old building." The contractor was required to repair the stone foundation and was allowed to re-use the old brick in the new building. At some point after 1895, the building ceased to be the toll house and it was rented in 1898 or 1899 to Israel G Smith, a physician and public health officer for Hintonburg.

The property was sold to Robert Miller Arbuthnot (1874-1945), a druggist, in 1907. The Arbuthnots left the business in 1914. Michael Joseph O'Callaghan, his wife Clara and son Bernard leased the premises and carried on the business, sometimes under the name West End Pharmacy Ltd, until the 1940s when Conrad Dupuis took over. In 1958 the pharmacy became a shoe repair store. The present owner has retained the original interior fittings of the earlier druggist including the pharmacist's cupboards, counter, and cash register. Note the stained glass window over the doorway showing a mortar and pestle; the curved display windows are also topped by stained glass motifs. [View photo]

Biographical sketches
Information about some of the people mentioned above.

Frank Radford "Budge" Crawley
Ottawa-born film producer Budge Crawley (1911-1987) produced hundreds of films over his 40-year career. Judith Crawley (1914-1986) made their first film on their honeymoon in the charming Île d'Orléans in 1939. As a result of this success, the Crawleys continued to produce films on a part-time basis; first out of their small apartment, then from the attic of Budge's childhood home.
Andrew and George Holland of Ottawa
Andrew M Holland and George C Holland (after whom Holland Avenue is named)
According to Who's Who of Victorian Cinema, motion pictures as a commercial business made their debut in 1894 at the Holland brothers' Kinetoscope parlour in New York City. Andrew and George Holland, the Ottawa businessmen to whom Thomas Edison had entrusted the first commercial exploitation of his invention, had previously distributed Edison phonographs. With the 1896 launch of Edison's new Vitascope projected film marvel, the Hollands negotiated exclusive rights for Canada. Vitascope made its debut in July 1896 at Hintonburg's West End Park (the northwesstern tip of this huge park is now the site of Fisher Park School on Holland Avenue at the Queensway), a joint venture between the Hollands and the Ottawa Electric Railway Company. Learn more about the Holland brothers and early motion pictures in Ottawa.

Ernest Laroche
Ernest Laroche, for whom Laroche Park in Mechanicsville is named, served as alderman for Victoria Ward from 1913 until 1931. He was born in Arthabaska, Quebec, and moved to Hull with his parents at the age of nine. He worked for Robert Woods, a well known Ottawa tailor, for seven years before starting his own business in 1907. An active member of St François parish in addition to his civic duties, Laroche is described in his obituary as “of a genial disposition, ... a personal friend of every member of council, and of every official, and all had a kind word for him in life and feel sincere regret in his passing.”

Frances Magee
Mrs Magee (c1805-1883) was born in Ireland and was an early settler of the Nepean area. She was the wife of Charles Magee who operated a tavern on Richmond Road near Britannia Mills until his death in 1846. Although she could not sign her name, she amassed a considerable amount of property and loaned money on two occasions (1874, 1880) to Joseph Hinton after whom Hintonburg is named.

Donald MacleanDonald Maclean
Donald Hector Maclean was born June 18, 1865 in York County, Ontario, the son of Reverend Hector Maclean of Mull, Scotland and Sarah Frith of London, England. Educated at Lisgar Collegiate (Ottawa), Woodstock College and the University of Toronto, he was a lawyer, politician and soldier and married Edith Mary Fry in 1899. Maclean was Reeve of Hintonburg, 1897-1899, later village solicitor (see the 1902 photo of the Hintonburg village council on our History page). He was appointed solicitor for the County of Carleton in 1906 and lived at 31 Fairmont Avenue and owned several other properties in Hintonburg in 1911. Elected to the Board of Control for the City of Ottawa in 1914, he resigned to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the war. (Maclean’s mother, who died in 1915 while he was serving at the front, lived at Iona Mansions at the time of her death. His wife also lived at the Mansions during the war.) He was appointed registrar of the County Registry Office in 1922. He died in 1924 and his wife moved back to Quebec City some time after that. At the time of his death, the Macleans lived at 290 Fairmont Avenue.

John Proudman
John Proudman (1871-1969) arrived in Ottawa from Ireland in 1885. He worked for Dr George Scott on his Hazeldean farm (just west of Ottawa), then as a stockman at the Experimental Farm (a little south of Hintonburg) from 1891 to 1910. Proudman married Frances Robinson in 1897. According to the 1901 Census, John A Proudman (30 years old), his wife Frances (born 1881) and their son George were residing on the north side of Richmond Road between Pinhey and Stirling in a wooden 5-room house. Mr Proudman died at the age of 101 on October 27, 1969. At the time of his death, he was still living at 1114 Wellington Street. He was survived by three sons (George, Sidney Mervyn and Cedric), two daughters (Claribel Proudman Hope and Rita Proudman Briggs), six grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.

Francis Sullivan
According to several sources, Francis Conroy Sullivan was born in Kingston in 1882 and worked as a draftsman for Ottawa architect Moses Edey for about two years from 1904. He became aware of Frank Lloyd Wright and modern architecture in the early 1900s and subsequently worked with him for short periods. From 1908 until 1911, he was an architect for the federal Department of Public Works, mainly designing armories and post offices. From 1911 to 1916, Sullivan had an independent practice in Ottawa and frequently worked for the Ottawa Catholic School Board. Aside from École Sacré-Cœur in Hintonburg, Sullivan is known for the Carnegie Library in Pembroke, Ontario, the Post Office in Shawville, Quebec, the Horticultural Hall at Landsdowne Park and the St Clare's Mission Roman Catholic Church in Ottawa. His residential landmarks include the magnificent Powers residence at 429 Bay Street, Connors House on Huron Avenue and his own Prairie-style home on Somerset Street East in Sandy Hill, Ottawa. He died in 1929. More about Sullivan's life and work...



This is the official site of the Hintonburg Community Association
Web hosting services provided by Infonium Inc.