GO TO HOME PAGE

Go to home page
Parkdale United Church detailOld Firehouse
Ecole Sacre Coeur
Richmond LodgeHeritage Plaque
History of Hintonburg

In its earliest days, Hintonburg was part of Nepean Township and several farms lined the main westerly road (now Wellington Street and Richmond Road) that ran from Ottawa to Richmond.

Council 1902From the 1850s onward, land along this road was subdivided and lots sold until, by the 1880s, a small community was developing just beyond the Ottawa city limits. Richmond Lodge (1854, see photo lower left) is a good example of the type of substantial residence built in these early days by the well-to-do.

In 1893 this community had grown large enough to become an incorporated village. It was named Hintonburg. The new village took its name from Joseph Hinton who, after a long career as a shopkeeper and civic official in Richmond, came to live with his son Robert in present-day Hintonburg. Joseph Hinton died in 1884 but his contribution to the community -- which included securing a post office and the Nepean township hall -- was recognized in the naming of the village.

The original settlement extended from about present-day Bayview Road almost to Island Park Drive and between two railway lines marked today by Scott Street (theBuilding the streetcar line Canadian Pacific right-of-way now used by the Transitway) and the Queensway (Highway 417, earlier route of the Grand Trunk Railway). Its heart was the intersection of Parkdale Avenue and Wellington Street -- the town hall and fire station (the latter still standing and restored in 2005) were near this intersection.

Hintonburg became part of the City of Ottawa in 1907. Its current boundaries encompass Scott Street on the north, the O-Train line to the east, the Queensway on the south (Highway 417) and Holland Avenue to the west (see map). The area has been designated the QUAD arts district.

For more information, consult Hintonburg & Mechanicsville: A Narrative History by John Leaning, available at Collected Works Books, Wellington Street near Holland in Ottawa ($20)

Photo, top: Hintonburg Village Council, 1902; standing, left to right, J A Forward, Robert Morgan (Chief of Police), Donal Hector McLean (Village Solicitor), W A J Bedard; seated, left to right, W A Mason (Village Clerk), F J Merrill, Reeve Robert Reid, W A Miller. Photo, below: The Beach Foundry in the 1950s.

See also: Heritage Walking Tour


This is the official site of the Hintonburg Community Association
Web hosting services provided through Infonium Inc.